UNGUIDED River Trip
from £60 per person
Full holiday description – click here to scroll down
Please select 2 consecutive days. Available April – September.
This UNGUIDED river trip option is perfect for people who have done the river before and/or have some white-water experience. The trip covers the full 32km of the Gorges de l’Ardeche from Vallon Pont d’Arc to Saint Martin d’Ardeche. It consists of two days of paddling with the option to include the overnight bivouac in the Gorge. You can also hire camping equipment if required.
The overnight camp (bivouac) helps to divide the river trip up, so that you’re not doing too much each day. Day one is approximately 16km and day two is about the same. If you decide not to include the overnight camp then the river trip will be broken down into 8km on day one and 24km on day two, and you will need to have accommodation arranged on the middle night (see “Your Itinerary – To Bivouac or not to Bivouac?” for more information). Please note that wild camping in the Ardeche Gorge is strictly forbidden with heavy fines for anyone caught doing so.
The bivouac site is managed by the nature reserve staff and has toilets, showers and drinking water available. There are also fixed barbecues with charcoal provided for your use.
*We do not recommend this option for people with limited white-water experience or with children – especially outside of the summer months when water levels are higher and less people are about.
You will be responsible for your own safety during the descent. You must arrive either at the bivouac site and/ or the end of the river within the time required. Remember, this is a remote grade 2 river with 30 rapids along its course and, as one might expect, there are inherent dangers/risks associated with it.
If you have any problems placing a booking, or would like to discuss your options further, please get in touch.
With unguided river trips you will go directly to the reception of the canoe hire company where they will have your booking information ready. They will give you all of your equipment, provide a short briefing and will then send you on your way.
We recommend arriving at about 10-10:30 am to start your trip on day 1 but you can start anytime you prefer (from 8:30am). You will be returned back to the start in Vallon by approx 6:30pm on day 2.
Your itinerary - 2 day UNGUIDED river trip
river trip (8km or 16km), overnight bivouac camp (optional)
river trip (16km or 24km)
TO BIVOUAC OR NOT TO BIVOUAC?
If you include the overnight camp
- This option breaks the river trip into 2 equal sections of 16km each which requires about 4-5 hours of paddling each day.
- You will need to include the bivouac tickets with this option and have camping equipment with you (you can hire this from us if required).
- The overnight bivouac camp will be on the night of your first date selected.
- You will also need to have enough food/drink for both days. (We will provide you with a list of food ideas for the river trip with your paperwork).
If you do NOT include the overnight camp
- This option will break the river trip into an 8km section and a 24km section.
- The 8km mini trip on the first day only takes about 2 hours but you can have up to 4 or 5 hours in total so that you can spend time by the river having lunch, going for a swim, jumping from rocks, or just relaxing and enjoying your surroundings.
- The 24km day covers the entire gorge section and will require about 6 hours of paddling to complete. For this day you will need to start by 9:30 am.
- No bivouac tickets or camping equipment required.
- You will need to have enough food/drink for each day. (We will provide you with a list of food ideas for the river trip with your paperwork).
Includes: sit-on-top kayaks (singles or doubles), paddles, buoyancy aids & waterproof barrels
Choice of: tents, hammocks, sleeping bags & self-inflating ground mats
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
The river trip covers the full 32km of the Gorges de l’Ardeche from Vallon Pont d’Arc – Saint Martin d’Ardeche. It consists of two days of paddling with an optional overnight camp in the gorge (bivouac) and includes 30 white-water rapids (grade 2).
RIVER TRIP ONLY – UNGUIDED
Costs shown are per person and includes your river equipment hire for both days and return transport back to the start after the river trip.
April May June September
|2 day UNGUIDED river trip||
Bivouac tickets (optional)
OPTIONAL EXTRAS – Camping equipment hire costs
|2 person tent||£20 per tent|
|Hammock||£5 per hammock|
|Sleeping bags||£5 per bag|
|Self-inflating ground mats||£5 per mat|